Monday, December 04, 2006

Winter in Ithaca



Its just about that time of the year when we reach out to young Evening and teach her what its like to be an Upstate New Yorker - layer up to face the stiff winds, pull out the snow shovels, and complain about the coaching of the Buffalo Bills. I can just about see myself saying to her - "Not just anyone can handle Upstate New York winters, that's why so many people flee south and west - they can't hang with it - now button up, put on the hat and be proud." Winter is flexing its muscle and I'm trying to thicken my skin. We kept hearing about the wicked storm rolling in this weekend - and took that as an excuse to hunker down and take in a nice chunk of college football's last weekend. I'll have you know that both Evening and I called the UCLA upset of USC. Feel free to call Evening's tip line for the bowl season - she's got the over/under for every game out there.

Ruthie is fulling embracing motherhood along with the holiday season. I've been coming home to a full on Christmas funhouse each afternoon - decorations and tunes. I believe I successfully diagnosed Evening's "stomach ache" the other night. Turned out to be a little too much of Angela Landsbury's "Holly, Jolly Christmas". The ailment was successfully treated with a heavy dose of Bob Dylan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled that Ruth is passing on her yearly tradition of listening to a full month of Christmas music as December 25th approaches to young Evening :)