Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day of the Mighty Warrior



September 15 - day of the mighty warrior Kellyn Rose. There is really no way to prepare for handing your child over for open heart surgery - even if you've been through it before. But we did and she has thrived.

The solid team lead by our old friend Dr. Alfieris hit another homerun in our book. After waiting the four hours of surgery, the good doc came in praising how great she had done. He was also was floored for what a severe case of Tetralogy she had while remaining asymtematic.

She is of course now knee deep in a lengthy recovery, is receiving a great deal of medication and is on a breathing tube, though she is doing quite well according to the staff - heart beat is good, clear and oxygen levels at 100% (far cry from the 80%she was exhibiting prior to surgery). Ruth and I are very proud and exhausted.

September 15 is in a direct tie with October 11, 2006 (Evie's surgical date) as the worst and best days of my life. Thank you to all who have thought and prayed for our family. Now the warrior directs recovery...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott and Ruth,
I'm so glad to hear that Kellyn did well in her surgery and is on her way to recovering. I have been sitting at my computer for about the last hour, laughing and crying, at your amazing blog. You have a great gift of putting thoughts and feelings into eloquent words. I didn't realize that you guys were living in Ithaca! I live in Corning and work at the Arnot Ogden in Horseheads. I come to Ithaca all the time!
Well, I just felt moved to send you a note to let you know I am thinking and praying for your amazing family!
Jenn Smielecki

Karen Fuller said...

Scott and family - I am so happy to hear that your Kellyn, Mighty Warrior, was true to her name and came through so well! You folks have had so much to go through and have all grown stronger as a family because of it. May the sun continue to shine upon you all.

Anonymous said...

The Mighty Warrior has been the talk of the office these past few days. We are all very happy to learn of the success of the operation. Keep moving forward....

Fernando