Sunday, March 20, 2011

Race Day



It was loud, crowded and at times wonderfully obnoxiously, just like NYC. Race day started early - with my sister Steph and brother-in-law Rob and I rolling into the City around 6AM under a "Super Moon". The Teamsters got me to within a short walk of the Central Park start. A cold wind whipped through the Park as the pre-race rituals were taking place. After a considerable lead up we were off. A crowded field of 10,000 snaked through the winding roads of Central Park. Pretty limited movement for a least 2 miles while I tried to shake the cold off me.


Limbering Up Pre-Race


Lots of folks out along the route through the Park. At about 4 miles I started thinking about how large the Park actually is - and of course again what a urban planning marvel it is. A full loop marked 6 miles which is the point when I prepared my strategy to shift from a steady, dogged pace to a more aggressive one. I went from running in line with a pack to regularly "picking people off" as we moved through 8 miles and out of the park. Bands and people lined the street and the field move by the Carnegie Deli and made the turn a Times Square. I still felt myself building and body feeling pretty decent.


Skirting through the Park


It wasn't until about mile 10 when I felt I needed to channel the great energy of the 50 plus contributors of this great cause - and of course my sweet girls - and the kids that this fundraising effort would benefit. Feeling beat it helped me at least keep pace for a fast final mile. Crossing the line, with a time of 1:44.18 (sub 8 minute mile), I smiled thinking about the effort and the beautiful collaboration of contributors. Over 4 dozen folks made donations, baked cakes, played cards, voiced great support for the effort. OUTSTANDING. It couldn't be done by any one - it was so meaningful because of the support of many. Sometimes it definitely does take a village.


NY's Finest...Socks


Absolutely, it means a great deal to know that together we will be able to sponsor not one, but two surgeries for two kids that need it (I will pass along details of those specific families that benefit when I have it). Adding to that is the invaluable message I hope this provides to my two young girls, Evie and Kellyn. We've been given an unbelievable gift and with that is the distinct opportunity to contribute to the health of people and communities in need. Congenital Heart Disease need not be a limiting factor, I'd argue just the opposite - it provides you with countless opportunities. I once heard someone say that in difficult situations, there are opportunities you just need to find them. In this case, the opportunity seemed pretty clear to me. Believe me I am going to aggressively keep looking too.


My host, guide and sweet youngest sister Steph


I arrived home to the beautiful affection of my ladies along with some sweet signage and balloons. My girl Evie came bolting up to welcome me. Noting the race medal around my neck she asked "Daddy did you win??!!" Yeah baby - I won - won quite a bit before the race even began.

Thank you all - I'll never forget it.

No comments: